Description: Debuffs and/or debilitates the enemy team.
Base Stats (Max 90)
Cost: 66 AP
Effect: Deal 500% Damage to one enemy. All other teammates get +100% Defense for 2 turns. All teammates gain +30% Bonus HP.
Initial Cooldown: 2
Effect: This character and 1 other gets +30% Bonus HP. This character gains +35% AP.
Effect: If this character were to take more than 30% of their max HP in a single Rush or Active Skill, deal that same damage back to the attacker and up to 2 additional enemies.
- Damage Over Time (Bleed, Burn, etc.) will not trigger Payback.
- Reflect Damage will not trigger Payback.
- Standard Attack actions will not trigger Payback.
- Maim Damage can trigger Payback.
- Payback triggers based on current maximum HP (e.g. – Maim HP Cap does affect the trigger).
- Payback will still trigger even if the character is debilitated (e.g. – Stun, Confuse, Taunt, etc.).
- Being attacked by a Confused teammate will not cause Payback to trigger.
- Rush damage taken when not directly targeted (e.g. – Adjacent, Line, etc.) can trigger Payback.
- Rushes with double / multiple attacks can trigger Payback.
- Payback can trigger off any of the multi-attacks independently.
3rd Slot Effect – Impair: When attacking, a better chance to Impair the enemy for 3 turns.
- Negan’s Payback ability is strongest when he takes the most damage.
- When improving your weapon and/or mods for Negan, be aware that adding additional HP will make it more difficult for Payback to trigger (since a larger damage number is now required to hit 30%).
- Characters who deal high damage to multiple enemies with their rushes are more likely to trigger Payback.
- When fighting against Negan, be careful not to deal too much damage to him at one time (outside of Damage Over Time effects such as Bleed or Burn).
- Using characters that can focus on individual opponents are safer when facing Negan.
- Payback will still trigger even if the character is debilitated (e.g. – Stun, Confuse, Taunt, etc.), so always be careful when dealing damage to Negan.
- While using Maim can be an effective way to bypass defenses, Payback’s likelihood of triggering increases the more Maim debuff he receives, so be careful about how much Maim you apply to Negan.
- Negan provides a 100% Defense boost to his teammates, but not himself. This makes it difficult to kill his teammates, while also making him an optimal target to trigger Payback.
- Negan’s active provides Bonus HP to himself and a teammate. This can be useful for Negan before and after sustaining heavy damage.
- Healing, Heal Over Time, and Bonus HP should help keep Negan alive without raising his Defense.
- Negan’s weapon can Impair an enemy he attacks for 3 turns. This can sometimes buy Negan an extra few turns to regain HP after taking a heavy hit (and triggering Payback).
[6 Star] Team Compositions
Here are a few examples Negan teams to get your creativity flowing: